Tuesday, May 11, 2010

King Kong 2005

I felt that the new King Kong was much better than the first one. One major reason for this is the special effects. It’s hard not to be amazed with a movie that uses special effects like this one did. The environment, creatures and action all seemed so real. One thing I also noticed while watching this movie was the influence of Peter Jackson on the film. What I noticed the most was the scenery and the natives. They for some reason gave me a feel of something that could be in the Lord of the Rings, which Jackson also directed. I not only liked the movie because of the special effects, but also because of the changes in the story Jackson made. The change that I really liked the most was the fact that Kong seemed more human and story between Anne and him was much more built up. I feel like this was the better way to do it because the movie is titled King Kong and I feel like, in the first movie, Kong didn’t play as big of a part as he should have; the first movie revolved more around Jack and Anne. One thing I found interesting was they changed Jack’s character around in this newer version. Now, he’s a playwright who gets tricked into staying on the boat by Jack Black. Choosing Jack Black to play Carl was a bit of a risky move in my opinion. He is known for doing more comical movies but I think in the end, he pulled off this more serious role fairly well. Although the movie was roughly three hours long, I didn’t mind all the extra action and scene, there really was never a dull moment throughout the whole movie. For example, I thought the whole storyline with Jimmy was worked into the movie well and also the extra dinosaur and spider scenes were great. Overall, this was a very good movie and much better than the first in my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with how much better the special effects were in this movie, but I did not like how they used them on the natives. I think they took it way too extreme where I was literally so scared I could barely watch. Haha Everything else about it though, especially Kong's facial expressions were amazing and I could actually somewhat relate to him and sympathize with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The special effects in the remake of this movie were amazing and definitely did a good thing for the storyline of the movie in many ways, although i feel as though the original movie gets the story across in a better way because the effects dont get in the way of the story.

    ReplyDelete