Sunday, May 16, 2010

Casablanca

I had never seen Casablanca before we watched it in class. I was excited to see it because I’ve heard many times that it’s a classic film. I was not very excited though when I found out it was supposed to be a love story. When we started watching the movie I was surprised because the romance wasn’t like I expected. There was more to the story and the romance almost seemed to be a background story. One thing I definitely didn’t like about the movie was the lack of settings. 95% of the movie seemed to take place in Rick’s club, which got old and boring fast. Also, I found that even though the song As Time Goes By was kind of a big part in building the relationship between Rick and Ilsa up, I found that it got annoying after the first few times. Ingrid Bergman did a good job of covering up the height issue, when she wasn’t standing in a trench. I never noticed throughout the movie the differing heights either. I did notice the part where Rick is about to get on the train and suddenly he is completely dry. The ending I must say, took me by surprise. It shows that Rick really still did love Ilsa and did what was best for her by sending Victor on the plane instead of himself. It is also pretty amazing how quickly they managed to take the film idea, shoot it and release it. I think it’s cool how they really wanted to take a real life event that happened only a few months ago and turn it into a love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment